July 18, 2017
Sometime when I was 25 I said “Hey, I’m gonna visit all 50 states – I’ve been to A LOT!” then I said, like all good goal-getters I needed a date – so, well, I’m gonna do it by 30!
My husband is thrilled.
But seriously, after traveling A LOT of Europe, and talking with my bestie Johanna, who happens to live in Germany [I digress] each of the 50 states really do have a unique culture that needs to be explored. So I am setting out to do it.
So far, well, so good! But I’ve got some adventures to get under my belt. But wait, there’s more! My plan is to catalog these adventures (as best I can) here, so I can look back, and check this puppy off. So – this post will evolve (OOHHH AHHH), as I make the quest.
- I must “experience” each state. That means airports don’t count. Either it’s a 1/2 day visit or a meal shared. Something special about it. Sorry O’Hare – I’m making a separate trip to Chicago!
- I need to visit all 50 states BY the time I turn 30, which will be at 2:31AM CST on February 12th, 2020.
So, here’s a nifty map – and a niftier list! Meaning I sang the “Fifty-Nifty” song while writing this puppy out, you know the one….”Fifty-Nifty United States from 13 Original co-lo-nie-s!” You’re welcome for that little diddy. 😉
November 6, 2018 Update
I’m sitting here at my desk and I’m starting to worry, friends, I don’t know if I am going to make it. Because, well, there is this little thing called first come love, then come marriage, then comes baby…(don’t worry, you didn’t miss a pregnancy announcement just yet!) and I’ve still got some big ole’ chunks to chip away. Oh and my sister is getting married, we are potentially moving, and got invited to a wedding in the UK so guess we gotta go to Europe…oh the life we lead. But – we press on, and also it looks like I really need to press on with all these blogs I planned to write (ok, hit send on – most are written!). But seriously – this is scary stuff for me, but what they say is to dream where it scares you, right?
Here is where things stand now – and are planned through the end of 2018…putting me at approximate to see in the next 15 months…yowza.
Check out my blogs below (by state) if you’re interested how the journey has unfolded:
- Connecticut: Planned December 2018
- Delaware: TBD
Florida: “Hello, I live here!” – Carrie Bradshaw, Sex & The City – The Movie
- Georgia: We got married in this fantastic Southern Gem! Check out my blog about the best brunch spot in the South.
- Hawaii: I
ntended Travel Date October 2018trip cancelled 😦
- Idaho: TBD – Dream Trip – Amtrak Empire Builder
- Massachusetts: Boston By Feet
Scheduled August 2018trip cancelled for a funeral 😦
- Montana: TBD – Dream Trip – Amtrak Empire Builder
- New Hampshire:
- New Jersey:
- New Mexico:
- New York: Planned December 2018
- North Carolina:
- North Dakota: TBD – Dream Trip – Amtrak Empire Builder
- Oklahoma: Oh, did ya know I was born and raised in this “flyover state?”
- Oregon: TBD – Dream Trip – Amtrak Empire Builder
- Rhode Island: November 2018
- South Dakota:
- Utah: TBD
- Vermont: TBD
- West Virginia: TBD
- Wisconsin: TBD – Dream Trip – Amtrak Empire Builder
- Wyoming: TBD
How many states have you been to? What shouldn’t I miss in the ones I haven’t seen? Let me know and I’ll add it to the list!